Fortifications, a new era.
In October 1934 the German corps of fortress engineers (Festungspionierorganisation) was reorganized. A new standard construction rule (Regelbau) and a new building planning scheme (Regelbaupläne) were established, providing greater efficiency and streamlining production. These guidelines were applied until 1945.
With his war directive n° 40, dated 23 March 1942, Hitler gave a new impetus to linear fortifications. All the West facing coasts of all occupied territories had to be fortified urgently. The scope of the project was such that the Todt Organization and military engineers had to share the effort, particularly for smaller sites. Coasts had to be protected, all the way from the North of occupied Norway to the Spanish border. Some parts of the coastline did not lend themselves to a possible landing but others, such as the Breton coasts had to be fortified as a matter of priority.